History of the castle, which could not be worn out by history, nature and technology, dates back to Seljuks. It was restored by Aydınoğulları at first and by the Ottoman Empire subsequently when it was devastated by big earthquakes.
It was constructed by Palak Mustafa Paşa by stones brought from the ruins of Teos upon the order of Suleiman the Magnificent (Kanuni Sultan Süleyman) when its important strategic position in Aegean Sea was discovered by Sea Captain (Kaptan-ı Derya) Piri Reis. Its current condition comes from the years 1521-1522. The castle which was called “Sığla” formerly was used as a naval base instead of defense purposes. The castle has three different gates called Kuşadası, Ayasuluk and Seferihisar.
A bailey and a keep, called as ward where soldiers live and are trained, exist in the naval base, and two towers and two gates exist at the part of this keep overlooking the sea.
Second floors of certain houses rise on the castle walls; and some house walls and windows and stones brought from Teos are seen between walls. There are battlements having the size 1.20 x 50cm at 3m intervals at courtyard walls of towers facing the north; however some of them are closed currently.
The castle which was constructed on a small islet at the west of the town upon the order of Cüneyt, the ruler of Aydınoğulları, had its strongest period under the rule of Murat II, Sultan of the Ottoman Empire.
The castle is completely ruined currently. People who want to see the castle can reach the islet by passing through the water having 25-30 cm depth which is at a distance of 80 m from the coast.
People who want to reach the castle at the south part of the islet must climb 62 m. You must absolutely see the sunset in the region which offers indispensible views for nature enthusiasts
SPAS AND HOT SPRINGS
Spas and Hot Springs: Main places in the status of spa among many hot springs within the borders of our town are springs known as Karakoç and Cumali Spas, Uyuz and Ahmetçi Baths, Gelinboğan and Hamamönü Spas.
Karakoç Spas: The spas located on Eski Kavakdere – Ürkmez Road are at 15 m height above the sea level and were very famous in Hellenistic Roman and Byzantine periods as well.
Radioactivity of the main spring feeding Karakoç Spa is 9,5 eman, radioactivity of sludge is 4,7 eman, radioactivity of cold water is 8,7 and 6,2 eman. All springs in the region of Karakoç Spas are alkaline waters with bicarbonate and sodium chloride.
Uyuz Spa: Its temperature is 55 degrees and reaction is acid and salt water. 297 mgr free CO2 gas exists per liter. Its radioactivity is 4,3 eman.
Gelinboğan Spa: Temperature of water originating from a spring having 3 lt/sec. flow rate is 68 degrees; its chemical characteristic is the same as Uyuz Baths.
Ahmetçi Bath: Temperatures of two springs are 55 – 57 degrees. Plenty of iron elements exist in this spa as in others.
Hamamönü Spa : Chemical characteristics of the spa located at about 1 km distance to the sea are identical. It has nearly the same characteristics as Balçova Spas. These waters were brought to historical bath in Karaköse and to baths that remained below the ground behind Amarante Hotel through pipes in the ancient era. Flow rate of this spa is very high, too. Unfortunately, waters originating from springs in an area of 150 m2 currently flow uselessly.